Friday 15 June 2012

Parents choosing TV over bedtime stories

My daily dose of the Evening Standard keeps me informed on the progress of the Get London Reading campaign, and I am somewhat alarmed by the statistics relating to London's literacy rates:

'One in three children in London does not own a book...One in three 11-year-olds cannot read properly, and a million adult Londoners are functionally illiterate.' (Evening Standard)

I am totally saddened by the fact that so many parents make the conscious decision to replace a bedtime story with a television programme; rather than spend quality time with their children, so many parents choose the 'easier' option of the TV. I remember relishing the time I had with my parents reading me a story before I went to sleep, and perhaps this was a luxury that many parents cannot offer their children for numerous reasons, but I think there is always time to read a story. Especially if there is time for the TV. There is just so much mindless rubbish on TV; why subject children to this at such a young age? They will have many opportunities to regress to the dismal offerings of British television as they get older, and hopefully wiser, so why not instill something a little more creative and literary when they are young and easily influenced?

Maybe I'd think differently if I were a parent with a child grappling for my undivided attention at every waking moment, so I can't criticise too heavily, but it's not hard to get hold of a book and read it to a child every so often now is it?


No comments:

Post a Comment